Varanasi Music

Please download and play this file as you go through the blog. Thanks.
(Right click "Download File" and open link in a new tab, and then click on "Download File" and the file will get downloaded)

Saturday 22 November 2014

intro-दक्षिण

The City of Light, Varanasi/Banaras/Anandvan/Avimuktkshetra, is an experience that everyone in this world has to go through, twice. There is too much to Varanasi which cannot be seen and experienced in one trip. Our 10 day college course in Varanasi was a short amount of time to fully absorb what this city has to give, but it was definitely enough time to open our eyes to this amazing city.
I mentioned before that this city is an experience. You just need to put yourself there, and the city will take over. Varanasi happens to you.Varanasi is a package experience, from the lovely Babas you meet there to the public cremations in the ghats to the vibrant gali life, each part of it presenting a totally different life from the other, this not something any city can give you.
What struck me the most in Varanasi was the Ghat life. This city is one of the oldest cities in the world, and the only city which has had a consistency in its city life. The sights you see in the ghats are most likely to be similar to the ones that you would see there 3000 years back. Let that sink in.
 In my journey I have tried to put myself in the position  of the people of Varanasi; and experience the place through their eyes. It was very difficult to do this but the perspective I experienced was worth the effort; and hopefully I can reflect my experience in you.


Also, a reason why I could enjoy this city so much, looking past the noise, the crowd, the traffic, and the chaos, was Diana L Eck's book "Banaras : The City of Light". It is a brilliant book, introduced to me by my Achan; the Varanasi experience would not have been the same without it.


[Starting the blog with this picture. My favourite shot from the journey which, I feel, shows exactly what I was trying to say earlier in the introduction]



No comments:

Post a Comment