Varanasi Music

Please download and play this file as you go through the blog. Thanks.
(Right click "Download File" and open link in a new tab, and then click on "Download File" and the file will get downloaded)

Thursday 20 November 2014

Shudh Hindi Yo.

Any place you visit it is the people that makes the city what it is, and the people of Varanasi are a delightful bunch. You'd find a very mixed crowd over there, different ethnicity, different religions, different regions. So to understand and appreciate the place I went and talked to as many people as I could.
 I am a Malayali, and people, being little ignorant nincompoops, think that us Malayalis have terrible Hindi, it is very irritating. Yes I have confused the word nimbu for nariyal, yes it takes me a minute to figure out what a simple sentence means, yes I have listened intently when asked a question (not knowing that a question was being thrown at me), yes I act like I understood every word of what someone was saying in Hindi when I have no clue what was being said.... Ok maybe the ignorant nincompoops  were a little tiny bit right. What I want to say though is that my primary aim of this journey was to see Varanasi through the eyes of its people and to achieve that I had to get to know the people, and these lovely people ONLY SPEAK SHUDH HINDI. I cannot comprehend non-shudh Hindi, so you can imagine the trouble I had with the shudh Hindi.
All said and done, it was a different experience trying to communicate with them and sharing stories with them. Even though there was a language barrier; the emotion with which the people spoke about their city did come out in their speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment